Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The God of the Second Chance

. Restarts and second chances aren't given out very freely in the world we live in.

So maybe that's why so many people find it hard to believe that God is all about second chances.

Maybe so. They aren't used to second chances. Maybe they just feel that there is so much distance between God and them. He's so holy; they're so unholy. He can't possibly bridge that gap between them.

Now think about this: The Bible depicts the character of God in a variety of ways. The Bible says that God is sovereign. The Bible says that God is loving. The Bible says that God is purposeful. The Bible says that God is holy. The Bible says that God is glorious. The Bible says God is a God of mercy. .

Listen to this: Exodus 34:6, "The Lord God is merciful and gracious, longsuffering and abounding in goodness and truth." Now I want you to remember that description because that goes all the way back to Exodus 32. Exodus 32, Exodus 33, Exodus 34--the story of the people of Israel sinning with the golden calf. Remember the story? In the middle of that terrible tragedy in the life of the Israelites, we have this reminder that God is gracious.

Think about this. Deuteronomy 4:31, "The Lord your God is a merciful God." Now what an apt description of God that is.

Psalm 103 and verse 8, "The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in mercy." Now I'm really interested in two things in that verse: I'm interested in the fact that God abounds in mercy because I need a lot.

How about this one? This is from Joel 2:13. "Return to the Lord your God for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and of great, great kindness."

And then there's Jeremiah 3:12, "'Return, backsliding Israel,' says the Lord, 'For I will not cause my anger to fall on you for I am merciful,' says the Lord. 'I will not remain angry forever.'"

So does God ever get angry with me? Oh, yeah on a daily basis I'm sure because of my shortcomings. But I do cling to the promise of God's Word that He will not remain angry with me forever.

One other verse, Nehemiah 9:17, "But you are God, ready to pardon, gracious and merciful, slow to anger, abundant in kindness." .

I want to take you to the Book of Jonah in the Old Testament. If you want to follow along at home please do so. Jonah 1 is the story of Jonah running from God. You know the story, God comes to Jonah. He says, "Look, I have a message I want you to deliver to the Ninevites."

See God not only prepared this horrendous wind to bring Jonah into place, he also prepared a great fish to save Jonah from death. Jonah would have drowned in the Mediterranean Sea. But God prepared a three day "whale of an experience" for him and this was just kind of a motel on the sea and just--he stayed in this fish--and three days later, he's back!

That means that chapter 3 shows us that God gives Jonah a second chance. I want to read some verses to you out of chapter 3 beginning in verse 1. "Then the Word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time. He said, 'Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and call out against it the message that I tell you.'"

Now this is not a new message; this is the message God had already told him before, but Jonah paid no attention to the message the first time.

So now, God is telling Jonah, "Look, I want you to go back; I want you to do exactly what I told you to do. And what I want you to do is simply this: I want you to go to Nineveh and I want you to cry out against that great city. And I'm giving you a second chance to do this because [for] two reasons: 1) I'm slow to anger. I'll put up with a lot, not forever, but I'll put up with a lot. 2) I want you to go because--well, uhm--because I'm merciful."

When you've trusted Jesus and you've walked His way,
When you've felt His hand lead you day by day,
But you're steps now take you another way,
Start over.

When you've made your plans and they've gone awry,
When you've tried your best 'til there's no more try,
When you've failed yourself and you don't know why,
Start over.

When you've told your friends what you plan to do,
When you've trusted them but they didn't come through,
Now you're all alone and it's up to you,
Start over.

When you've failed your kids and they're grown and gone,
When you've done your best but it turned out wrong,
And now your grandchildren have come along,
Start over.

When you've prayed to God so you know His will,
When you've prayed and prayed but you don't know still,
When you want to stop 'cause you've had your fill,
Start over.

When you think you're finished and want to quit,
When you've bottomed out in life's deepest pit,
When you've tried and tried to get out of it,
Start over

When the year's been long and successes few,
When December comes and you're feeling blue,
God gave a January just so you could
Start over.

Starting over means victories won.
Starting over means a race well run.
Starting over means the Lord's "Well done!"
So don't just sit there;
Start over.

No comments:

Post a Comment